The California Department of Public Health (CDPH), is seeking nominations for the Beverlee A. Myers Award for Excellence in Public Health. This award recognizes the contributions of public health and health care services professionals in improving the health status of everyone who calls California home and the millions who visit each year.
The Beverlee A. Myers award is presented annually to an individual, not currently working at CDPH, who has exhibited outstanding leadership and accomplishments in public health in California.
Established in 1993 in honor of the late Beverlee A. Myers, this award reflects the leadership and dedication to all aspects of public health improvement exemplified throughout her 25-year career, including her service as director of the California Department of Health Services from 1978 to 1983.
A selection committee, including the director, assistant director, and chief deputy directors of CDPH, will review the nominations and select this year’s recipient. The Beverlee A. Myers award will be presented to the public health professional that best embodies the following:
- Exemplifies dedication and accomplishment in improving the health status of Californians.
- Demonstrates an ability to work collaboratively and provide leadership within the public health and health service delivery communities.
- Uses creative methods to promote essential public health services.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to addressing the needs of special populations and reducing disparities in health care and health outcomes.
If you nominate more than one person, each nominee requires a separate nomination letter. All nominations must be received by Tuesday, March 2, 2020, at 5 p.m.
In your nomination letter, please include the following information about the nominee:
- Phone number
- Email address
- Mailing address
- Complete narrative of why you are nominating the individual
- A copy of your nominee’s CV (Curriculum Vitae) or resume is not required, but can be helpful
You can submit nominations via email to Michael Marks. If you have any questions or need additional information, you can call Michael at (916) 440-7147.
You can also submit a hard copy of your nomination(s) to:
California Department of Public Health
Office of Public Affairs
MS 0502, P.O. Box 997377
Sacramento, CA 95899-7377
This year’s award recipient will be recognized at a special awards ceremony in Sacramento. The ceremony is scheduled for Thursday, April 1, 2020, at 1 p.m. as a part of our National Public Health Week celebration.